Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Virtual Library Branch - Thing #10

I've used NetLibrary in a former life. Titles listed there are older. Have used North Suburban Library Consortium more often, more recently - site itself is more appealing somehow. Have downloaded audio books to an mp3 player and downloaded ebooks to my computer. I must confess I don't listen to audio books, so it's not something I do everyday. I'm much more inclined to listen to music. I''m hoping this technology will soon be outdated since it still seems that there are too many steps in these programs. But the fact that you can burn some of the audio books to your own CDs is pretty amazing.

The libray's website is wonderful....keeps growing and growing, which is good, but can also be a drawback because I'm not sure every patron is aware of all we have to offer. Some of the services/possibilities are hidden and only known to the staff. It's a great direction we're going in to make more and more community members able to contribute to things such as SkokieTalk, etc. I anticipate the IM chat will be implemented in more areas and be displayed more prominently on the webpage. It seems book discussions would really lend themselves to some kind of online participation.

In general, I enjoyed learning about the 10 Things and appreciate the opportunity to spend time utilizing them. I feel the whole project will serve as a reference point of departure for using these skills all the time. I am now addicted to the feeds and podcasts and will use google tools.

Thanks to the 10Things Team for developing this program and being so graciously helpful throughout the process.

No comments: